Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Fall of the House of Usher

What I would alter about Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher? If I was in the narrator's position I know that from the very second I felt the negative and gloomy vibes that the house gave off, that this was going to foreshadow a negative outcome. The narrator knew from the beginning that something seemed off with this house but he also knew that he needed to do a favor for his friend Frederick and Frederick's twin sister, Madeline. They needed company and he knew that he was supposed to help his friends out. However, I believe that keeping them in this horrid house would only negatively affect them. If I were to alter the story, I would alter it in a way that could maybe create a happy ending. I would have never gone to the house and stayed over as long as the narrator did. Personally, I would have taken Roderick and his sister out to somewhere where they would not be constantly reminded of how gloomy their house felt.

If I had not taken them away from the house, I know that I would have called a doctor when Madeline became severely sick. I believe that even though he was her sister, Frederick had no right to keep her there and bury her himself. The narrator had to have known deep down that this was not the right thing for him to do even if it was his sister. The narrator needed to speak up for himself in order for his word to be heard.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you see how the narrators negative feeling from the house foreshadowed the end.

    Where might have you taken Roderick and Madeline? To the doctor? Asylum?

    Poe would never have published a story with a happy ending haha.

    And also, if I didn't shoot Madeline when we buried her then I would of shot her when she came out of the coffin and was at the door.

    ReplyDelete